Old 14-06-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Default geranium maderense

wrote:
I have a geranium maderense which has good leaf growth but is reluctant
to flower. Any tips to accelerate this happening as I have heard it is
quite comman. It is planted in a sunny bed with some shade. many
thanks.

It's an intermittent or short lived perennial that needs full sun all
of the time. Unfortunately it is not terribly hardy except in the far
south and usually requires winter protection especially from winter
rains further inland. Folks who succeed with this species usually
fashion some sort of cover to allow the air in but keep out the wet.
Alternatively, it can be grown in a large container and overwintered in
a light, airy, frost free place. Usually, bought plants are youngsters
requiring at least a full season's growth before putting on their
lavish display of flowers. I suspect your plant is still a yearling
and needs another season.