Old 14-06-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Squeezeweasel

Default What's this (wild plant not a garden plant)

K wrote:
Squeezeweasel writes

Rod wrote:
I know there's one or two good field botanists moving among us. Wonder
if anybody knows this plant. Found in this afternoon in Cwm Idwal under
a rock close to a small waterfall, so it's a fairly wet site. The links
are to the same picture but 02 is better quality(much bigger file)

A delightful afternoon away from the garden that I was supposed to be
working in. Well it rained at home but NOT in Cwm Idwal - that's my
excuse anyway ;~}}

Thanks

Rod

It's Mountain Sorrel (and is edible, apparently - acidy-tasting
leaves). Roger Philips' Wild Flowers of Britain has a photo on p 117,
and says:

'A native perennial found in damp, rocky places and streamsides on
mountains. Fairly common in NW Scotland; rare elsewhere though found in
the Lake District, N Wales and W Ireland.'

(Just in case it's helpful, I usually use the key in David Sutton's
Field Guide to the Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe
alongside the index in Roger Philips, which doesn't have a key. I'd
heartily recommend both books.)

I didn't know it under that name!
Wall pennywort, aka navelwort, Umbilicus rupestris, Crassulaceae
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/t..._rupestris.htm
--
Kay

Don't think it's pennywort - the edges of the leaves aren't crinkled,
the stems are thinner, and the leaves themselves look less thick and
glossy. I suppose a taste-test might help...

--
www.gastronomydomine.com