Old 14-06-2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default No Till growing tomatos

"George.com" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
George, the bottom line here is that whether you use no-till methods, or

go
to the other extreme and till the hell out of your soil every time you

feel
like starting a noisy machine (like my neighbor), it has no relationship

how you plant the seeds and care for the plants. I think you're trying to
expand the no-till subject to overlap an aspect of gardening on which it

has
no effect.

not really Joe, certainly not my intention if that is the impression from
my
question. For a host of reasons I am going for no till and I also want to
go
for minimal time input and fuss. I have grown tomatos from seed in a
standard bed before no problems but never tried it no till. I have never,
and want to avoid wherever, indoor propogating and then transplanting.
Hence
the question, has anyone had any success planting straight into a mulch
such
as straw or hay or similar weed suppressent. If I use a compost mulch over
the soil it should be no problem sowing into that. I am unsure whether
seeding into a straw mulch, for instance, will produce good growing.
Obviously the alternative is to sow in to soil and mulch when it starts
growing. I want to sample other peoples experiences where possible however
to get a steer from their successes or failures.

rob

You would not sow into straw mulch. Maybe into compost, but certainly not
into straw.