Old 14-06-2006, 10:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default how to start a compost?

"sand and sun" wrote in message
ups.com...
I like to start an organic compost bin at the corner of my garden.
After reading this group, my idea to get started is to have a 4-5' high
wire mesh (the smallest mesh size) rolled about 5' diameter. Keep the
roll standing on its sides vertically on a level ground or optionally
on top of a layer of stone/cement patio/walkway blocks. With adequate
support to keep the wire roll (bin) falling on its side. Then fill the
wire bin with 1 layer of grass clippings, lop it with 1 layer of bunny
house bedding (woodshave or brown paper shreddings + its organic waste)
collected while cleaning its hutch, and other kitchen waste, then one
layer of sand or garden soil and leaves. At about 1-2' from the ground,
insert couple of 6' long 1" pvc pipes horizontally with drilled holes,
criss-cross to one another inserted thru a hole made on the wire mesh
on opposite sides, spray it with water from garden hose. Repeat the
process till the bin in full. Then cover it with a tarp. If can get
some red or garden worms add them on top of the pile. Do I miss
anything?

that will work ok though I suggest you lose the sand as it won't add any
value to the compost. Adding soil is only to seed some microbal life in to
the pile and your poop should do that. Soil is optional, a couple of
handfulls if you do add it.

you don't need the pvc pipes as even a oxygen starved compost pile will
break down (cold composting) though it will take at least 1 year. You mix
will degrade in time without you needing to do anything. Do nothing compost
is ok stuff.

If you have any seed in it these will survive and propogate when conditions
are right. This may or may not be a problem dependant on what you use the
compost for.

If you want to have a hot compost that will kill things like weed seeds
having the ability to turn it is recommended. You get to mix the entire
compost heap several times, turning the outside in and the inside out so
everything gets cooked. You can also help get oxygen through the pile and
moisture. You can also cool down the compost this way if it gets too hot.
Also, you can balance up nitrogen or carbon balances this way if it is
needed.

There is no one best way for making compost. For every person who tells you
one thing is essential, someone else will tell you exactly the opposite.
First thing, decide whether you want a hot and quite fast compost that will
require some intervention from you or whether you are happy to have a slow
and cold compost where you simply sit back and let nature do the work.
Everything flows from there.

rob