Old 14-06-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Working with or Controlling Nature?

Sue wrote:
I agree with that. You can try to go along with nature, but only up to a
point.
Although I call the area down at the end of our plot the 'Wild Garden'
and let the grass grown long and the wild flowers seed around, it's
still managed and not really wild. Some plants turn up on their own and
are welcome (except the marestail), but if I didn't step in and enforce
a bit of order now and then it'd all revert to scrub in no time. For a
start I'd soon be overrun with sycamore blowing in from next door,
brambles introduced by birds and oak saplings from acorns planted by
squirrels and jays.

That's when you introduce chickens! They are great at eating pests,
seeds and fantastic at scratching the soil to a wonderful fine tilth,
manuring as they go along, ready in no time for you to plant a crop )