Old 14-06-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Default Tree Root Question

David wrote:
I don't know whether this is an appropriate question for this NG, but I
don't know where else to post it. If someone has a better recommendation,
I will be happy to take it there.

I have a suspicion that tree roots are stressing the foundation of my
house. However, the symptoms are not constant -- they vary with the time
of year.

My question: In general, do tree roots grow at different rates during
different seasons of the year?

Thank you very much for any thoughts.

They would have to be mighty big roots to stress a house foundation. Is
the house on a standard slab, a chain wall, or piers? Most common cause
for slab cracking, at least along the Gulf Coast is that the house is
built on a clay layer, doesn't matter if the clay layer is down three or
four feet. Clay shrinks in dry seasons and swells in wet seasons. Nearly
every house I have owned in 45 years along the coast in Texas and
Louisiana has, of necessity, been built on top soil covering a clay
layer, all have ended up with slab cracks, from small, no consequence
ones, to the ceiling cracking along with the slab.

Check around your house and see what is doing the job.

George