Old 14-06-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Where to put pumps?

PlainBill wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:21:17 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

You're confusing a law of physics with efficiency. A suction pump
cannot lift water more than 32 feet because atmospheric pressure is
14.7 psi.

No, I don't believe I am - I'm pointing out that those laws of physics
_affect_ the efficiency.

Even that is not strictly true - the motor and impeller of
a jet pump can be more than 32 feet above the surface of the water,

Of course it's strictly true. A jet pump is NOT a suction pump.

Use this analogy: You have a heavy object, suspended by a rope. The

Lousy analogy. Precisely because it does _not_ work the same way as
suction.

As I said before, for a given pump, the efficiency is the same pushing
or pulling.

And as I said, it doesn't matter as long as the two pumps are at the same
level relative to the water line - we can keep repeating ourselves forever
if you want.

The BIG variable is the pump itself. Then laying out the plumbing
with as few turns as possible.

Absolutely.
--
derek