Old 14-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Elderflower time again

The message
from mrs-baggins contains these words:

I hate to admit this but what i have a
problem with is getting the actual elderflowers!!! I had to download a
photo so I know what they look like! I havent seen any locally so have
been asking a few people who know their nature and they cant recall
seeing any either. So all i have to do now is find a tree. By the time
I have found one no doubt the flowers wil be gone!

It would be hard to find a mature native elder that doesn't flower
and fruit. They flower and fruit so prodigiously that birds spread the
seed everywhere, and it can germinate in the merest cracked bit of
concrete. So elder are very common in urban areas on waste ground, edges
of playing fields, back lanes and railway embankments, riverside
walkways etc. In rural areas thay are a common plant of hedgerows and
woodland edges, lanes etc. So I'm sure they are all around you and you
have often seen them covered in creamy lacy flowers in early summer;
(just, not recognised them for what they are). They are a very beautiful
plant when in flower. Ask friends and neighbours to point one out to
you.They are just opening flowers here atm.

How do you make bath bombs btw?

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry