Old 15-06-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default Snake bite while weeding

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mindful" wrote:

"AndyS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy writes;

I just had a neighbor that got bitten on the finger by a
copperhead while he was weeding his garden by hand.
This is North Texas and we have a LOT of copperheads
and mocassins around, and they are a constant hazard.
Last month, I killed two coppers and one mocassin, and
the mocassin was a very close call.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this as a caution to remind
folks that critters lurk under them thar rows of stuff.

Anybody else here had a close call, or a bite, while
gardening......?????

Andy in Eureka, Texas

My friend down in Foley reached to pick some weeds and was attacked by
fire
ants. She ended up in the ER from the reaction. She gave up gardening.

Worse I've had in 40 years was to be weeding and disturb a yellow
jacket nest. It took numerous stings before I realized something was
amiss.

Sad to hear your friend gave up gardening. Perhaps container gardening
or another option would be fun. Nothing wrong with house plants or a
small green house.

I ran into the fire ants only once while waiting for my wife who was
shopping. I sat on a bench and my feet touched the ground. . Not
nice.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

I sent her an email asking if she was gardening at all. She said she has a
few pots of flowers on the front porch. Her fear of going onto shock and
dying the next time keeps her out of the yard. She said they were recently
talking about moving back to New Jersey. Too much heat and too many insects
in Foley she said. She's allergic to insect stings. I understand her fear.