Old 15-06-2006, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

Default Type of Zoysia & Mulch to Use

The "old standard" zoysias are Meyer and Emerald. Meyer grows faster and has
a larger blade. Emerald has a much finer blade and is sometimes thought to
be a higher maintenance grass.

In more recent varieties, Zenith and El Toro are fairly similar to Meyer and
Zeon is fairly similar to Emerald.

If you want to do some reading, there is always the National Turf Evaluation
Program, which can be found at:

http://www.ntep.org/data/zg96/zg96_0...g96_01-15f.pdf

My preference is Emerald. In my opinion it is the best looking zoysia and
also has good properties in sun, shade, hot and cool.

Last summer I installed 7,000 sf of Emerald at our house and this summer I
added another 4,500 sf. Next summer I'm probably due for another 3,000 SF
and I'll have Emerald in all of my grassy areas...

KB

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to have zoysia sod put in at my new house in Raleigh, NC. The
landscaping company is asking me which type of zoysia I want. Does
anyone know the best types for my area and have any preferences?

Also, they are saying that they will supply me with triple-shredded
mulch. Is there anything that I need to verify (ex. type, age, etc)
regarding the mulch?