Old 15-06-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Snake bite while weeding

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:38:02 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Ohio apparently only has garter snakes.

I always pick one up on the scythe when doing the lawn near the
bushes. They're never hurt, and just wind up on top of the windrow
that lines up on the left, looking disoriented.

Maybe it's always the same one. He's been getting progressively
bigger. I don't know what he's feeding on.

The scythe serves as a nice transport device for putting him back
in the bushes. They don't mind it as much as being picked up.

I don't know why the scythe doesn't hurt him. It's razor sharp.

I'm a native Buckeye and lived in several areas (Cleveland, Akron,
Columbus, Dayton, Springfield) of the state, although I left Ohio 20
some years ago. There are 27 or so kinds of snakes in Ohio, only 3 of
which are poisonous. Two of these three, the Eastern Timber
Rattlesnake and the Massasauga Rattlesnake are endangered and
protected. The other poisonous snake native to Ohio is the Copperhead,
found mainly in the south-eastern part of the state. None of these
snakes are at all likely to be found in north central Ohio. Here in
east TN, the copperhead is not uncommon, and I've come across a Timber
Rattler once in 15 years.