Old 15-06-2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How can I recycle my turf?

Two suggestions:

1) if you have any bare spots in your lawn, use the sod to fill in and
establish a good grassy area.

2) if you are a vegetable gardener, let the sod sit (just as you have
it - turf down; roots up) and let it decompose for about a year. Then,
when you go to plant potatoes, us the rotted sod as compost. You will
be pleased with the results.

Mark

Largeloins wrote:
Do anyone know the easiest/best way to recycle newly cut turf(sod) as I
have just cut out some flower beds and have loads of turf as a result.
I want to reuse it if possible as it has a lot of good soil attched to
it. It's currently grass side down in stacks.

I thought I heard some time ago about an "off the shelf" mixture which
kills the grass and roots thus breaking it down - but that's all I can
remember.

thanks

--
Largeloins