Old 15-06-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Slugs'n'Snails - wired?

On 15/6/06 16:43, in article
, "Nick Byford"
wrote:

We tried everything to deter slugs and snails and have found that sadly,
it's down to the old blue pellets. They are so far, the only thing that has
worked. Baby Bio make pellets that they say have an animal deterrant in them
so that cats and dogs don't eat them, but our lupins have really benefitted
from them this year.

Check 'em out at
www.pennix.co.uk

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
This is terrible. My lupins are in absolute tatters. Has anyone
tried using copper wire (e.g. from domestic cables) as a slug
& snail barrier? I want to put something around the pots, you
see, but don't want to buy "slug tape" at a tenner for 4m!!
Would wire, rather than tape, work?

IMO, if you must use a chemical deterrent, Sluggit is better and safer. The
OP might also like to look into using Nematodes when the time is right. And
plumbers' merchants sell copper wire.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk