Old 15-06-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lavender hedge

" writes

Alla Bezroutchko wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to create a lavender hedge. I have planted some lavender
last year in autumn, it is growing fine at the moment and just starts
flowering. Should I let it flower or should I cut off the blooms to make
it grow more green shoots? When and how should I trim it to form a hedge?

By the way, after asking the opinion of the group last year about
planting out lavender cuttings, I did an experiment - planted out some
in October and repotted the rest. The potted cuttings stayed in an
unheated garage where the temperature sometimes went down to -5 degrees
Celsius. All the potted cuttings survived, while about a half of the
planted cuttings died, mostly broken down or washed out by heavy rain.
The planted out cuttings that survived are bigger and bushier than the
potted ones though.

Alla.

Let it finish flowering, then trim the flower spikes off, that will
encourage it to grow and it will become bushier.
Mike

Trim it back further than that if you want it to be bushy. But don't
trim back further than the lowest green leaves on the stem, as they
don't always grow back after that treatment.

--
Kay