Old 16-06-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Lone Gunman

Default Pump for bird bath?

On rec.ponds, in
.97.142, "Angela
Marsh" wrote:

We have a small stream running next to the house and would like to
put a bird bath in our yard near it. Would it be possible to find
an *inexpensive* pump that could pump water from the stream into
the birdbath?

The only problem is that it needs to go about 30 feet, and over a
4' earth berm. Can small inexpensive pumps do that?

How high is the birdbath? If it's lower then the heigth of your berm
all you need to worry about it pumping the watter to that heigth.

I'd recomend built what is essentualy an aquaduct, since as long as
there is nothing to restrict it watter will find it's own level.

The easiest method woud be to use large pvc pipe, with a stack at the
berm end to recive watter from the pump and a underground tee with a
RV adapter & valve at the birdbath end, like so (fixed width font):
_
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_| _
| \______________ ___________/ |_ @
\__|_____________ ~ _________|_____|-+---

The tee and valve go neat the birdbath, and should be placed inside
a box for easier access (for cleaning & draining). Dry fit everything
first before you start gluing and be sure to leave extra at the pump
end. After its all togeter fill it with some watter to make sure the
joints don't leak. Once it's all tested, burry and enjoy.

Parts:
- pvc "sewer" pipe
- recomended glue
- one elbow & one Tee fitting
- one end cap with screw in plug
- Sewage clean-out adapter (RV store)
- some hose that fits the RV adapter (to run into the bird bath).

You'll have to gauge the size of the pipe based on whatever size the
RV adapter is. At the local store they are 4", but I'm sure 6" is
avalable as well.

--
Anti-Troll FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/d8e4

Ignore the grassy knoll, there is only one Lone Gunman.