Old 18-03-2003, 02:56 AM

Default Spring Cleaning Good or Bad?

dont mess wiht fish till their immune system is up and running for 10 days. 55oF
water.
fill a rubbermaid tub with pond water, drop in an airstone.
pump nearly all the water out of the pond, then get the fish while they are almost
flopping on the bottom. less stress than chasing them around with nets.
clean the pond, run in water the same temp as the water taken out OR WARMER WATER.
add the dechlor, salt, minerals or whatever
move the fish back in. dont leave fish in small container as the ammonia spike will
damage them.
Ingrid

"IanQ" wrote:

My plans are as follows (someone correct me if I am going to do harm!)

- Place a decent size bucket in pond, fill with pond water;
- Move my 10 goldfish to bucket, leave bucket in pond;
- Remove half of pond water (it's a small pond, approx.: 750 gallons);
- Shop vac, clean, etc, etc;
- Fill pond up;
- Leave for a couple of days;
- Transfer fish back to pond;
(Warm one yesterday, the ice completely melted, and the fish were swimming
around at the surface looking for food handouts!)

"jammer" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:23:26 -0700, John Rutz
wrote:

draining and cleaning can be very hard on your fish unless you can
transfer all fish and most of the old water to another container and
back into the pond
can you get ahold of a shop vac?
--
John Rutz

I have a shop vac, but am afraid to shop vac my fish up. I only have 2
and i pond is small. I will have to brave it soon as i can't catch
these fish!
jammer