Old 16-06-2006, 07:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vivek.M

Default New member from Bangalore, India.

Hello,
My name is Vivek.M; I am a engineering student from India. I've just
taken up gardening as a hobby; the only things i've ever grown till
date are a pair of water-melons.

1. Could someone suggest a Internet based resources on gardening. I use
the Wikipedia to decipher the funny words that i come across; things
like perenial, gamete and pollen. I don't understand why plants must be
planted at a particular time and why you can't shove them in the ground
in reasonably bright sunlight and expect them to flower and fruit.

2. Is there any way to obtain seeds, not that i don't get seeds here;
trouble is most of the seeds i get are for fruit and food stuff that is
commonly available here. I wanted seeds for: leeks, broccoloi, chard,
rutabaga, RASPBERRY's, STRAWBERRY's, PLUM's - stuff like that - which i
don't get to eat locally.

3. I've tried the gardenweb.com seed exchange web site, unfortunately
it's mostly for ppl that live in the USA. I've also tried to purchase
my seeds from burpee.com (they don't ship Internationally) and
www.seedsavers.org (their minimum order is 100USD for international
deliveries with 15% service charge and extra shipping!!) with no luck.
So could you suggest a seed exchange site which meets my needs.