Old 16-06-2006, 09:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora

Default how to start a compost?

In article ,
Bill R wrote:

Claire Petersky wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

You don't need a bin or any other kind of container.

You don't *need* a bin, but they sure are nice to contain the whole mess.
If
you have limited space, a worm box is preferable. I wouldn't have a
compost
heap where I have our worm box. It would be too annoying to the neighbors.

I agree that bins are a good idea to contain everything. I also like to
use bins that have solid (not wire) sides. They heat up faster and keep
the smell in. Also, a lid (or something that covers the top) helps in
those respects too.

An aerobic compost pile that is cooking right along shouldn't smell.
Anerobic composting stinks, and where I live, draws bears.

I use a cage made up of four panels of chicken wire. It's easy
to toss everything into the cage, then if needed, pick the cage
up and move it over a bit, then fill it up again.

Now that I have laying hens, they are fascinated by anything that
I plant in the yard. *sigh* So I put my compost cage around
my newly planted globe artichoke plants, in last year's compost
pile spot, which was the biddie's favorite place to scratch. If
the hens don't get in, the 'chokes should do well.

Do a Google for the "compost calculator." It'll tell you how
to balance your greens and browns. Nitrogen/carbon balance.
It's easy.

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.