Old 16-06-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
P & H Macguire

Default Lavender hedge

I live in central Scotland and have 2 borders of lavender. One border was
planted 2 years ago and the other 6 years ago. Although facing south, one
border gets an east wind, the other is protected. My problem is that all
the plants have become very woody although I pruned them after flowering in
the autumn. The east wind has killed some and reduced the new growth of
what's left of the 2 year old border. I plan to take cuttings from my 6
year old plants, but not sure how to do this? They are starting to flower
just now so intend leaving them till they finish. I'm new to trying to
propogate from existing plants!

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

K wrote:
I didn't think the dying off was anything at all to do with frost, and
simply that lavender doesn't always shoot from 'brown' wood. With spring
pruning, I have seen both scenarios - lavender re-shooting, and lavender
dying.

Me too. The longest I've kept a plant is 8 years, a French one which
reach 1m10. And that I think was a miracle. I've experimented on my
allotment with them, and by neglecting them they have faired as well as
the ones at home, pruned in spring. However, the best show of lavender
hedges I've seen was at the Salford Sainsbury's in Manchester. I was
astonished by the longevity of these plants - hundreds kept on that
parking lot for well over 6 years, severely pruned in spring. Sadly,
they all died this year and still haven't been replaced (