Old 16-06-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö

Default How do i soften my water

"Dick" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:03:39 +0100, Eoghan
wrote:

I was wondering if there was an easy way of softening my water.
Maybe fiter media or anythin, except rainwater(dont trust it).
I want to keep cardinal tetra, rams and rummy-nosed tetra but my water
is to hard.

Any solutions?

Thanks
Eoghan(It's the irish way of spellin owen)

Why do you want to soften your water? What problem are you trying to
solve? Hard water is not a problem, it is a condition. You can
change the condition or you can change the plants or fish to suit the
condition.

dick

====================
He want's to keep the tetras that do best in soft water, but his water is
hard. Some aquarists will just keep fish that thrive in their particular
water conditions as you know. Others try and acclimate their fish to their
conditions if not ideal. I've had angelfish and fish like bettas adapt to
my 300+ calcium rich hard alkaline water but they don't breed or the eggs
don't hatch. The smaller sof****er, lower PH fish don't live very long for
me, usually less than 6 months, so I don't get them anymore.
--
KL.......
Aquariums since 1952.