Old 17-06-2006, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vivek.M

Default Terminology

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...er_pruning.asp

"Time: Delay pruning until the basal third of new shoots have turned woody. This discourages frost-vulnerable secondary growth."

What's a basal third of new shoots and whats turning woody? What is
secondary growth and why is it frost vulnerable.

"Process: Technique = 'modified Lorette system'."

Is that a pruning technique?

"Cut back new laterals growing directly from the main stems to three leaves above
the basal leaf cluster. Cut back sideshoots on more mature laterals to one leaf above the basal cluster (left). If secondary growth is produced cut it back to one bud in
September. Remove completely any over-vigorous, upright shoots."

Umm..trim new side growing branches; leave only the section from the
stem till the basal leaf cluster + 3 leaves..? What's a basal leaf
cluster? What's secondary growth?
What's a upright shoot?

How did you guys figure out the terminology? The RHS web site is
fantastic! I found heaps of potentially useful stuff, however the
terminology is daunting; they assume you know a wee bit of gardening
and alas, i know zilch! Anyway still going through the site so i'll
keep you updated.

Are there any resources for total and absolute newbies? I found a
superb article on pruning in the Wiki; check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruning_fruit_trees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruning

Something like that - nice pictures and just the basics.