Old 17-06-2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vivek.M

Default Terminology

Hello Bryan,
I did not mean to troll, and i am sorry that my posts came across as
trollish. This is my first post to rec.gardens and probably my third or
fourth post via deja.com, so it's not likely that i've had a stellar
career as a troll.

I am not very knowledgeable about horticulture and biology, and though
i did study bio in high-school, it's been 5 years since i looked at a
bio textbook. Simple stuff that may be obvious to you requires research
from my side.

I know about google and have been using it extensively, but it eats in
to my time; Imagine trying to google every 5'th word in a article and
then clicking and back-clicking to move back and forth over a
reasonably slow Internet link trying to figure out which link contains
the information you require!

So could someone on the group recommend a online resource for beginners
to gardening (some one who is totally clueless about biology and
gardening) ! Some site which has
all the information required for a newbie in one place. Stuff like: how
to prune, dicot, monocot, and what a flower is (i've forgotten - i
mean, i know stigma, stamen, pollen and nectar and darn honey bees
buzzing about..and i did study the darn thing in school..)
and more importantly, how to relate all this stuff to the actual plant.

To give you a example of what i mean: If some Joe asked me how to learn
Basic Electronics online, i'd probably say:
1. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics
2. http://www.play-hookey.com/ [The link does not work at this point of
time]