Old 17-06-2006, 02:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gary Brady

Default covering a hot brick wall

Doug Lassiter wrote:
I took down a (seriously damaged Az Ash) shade tree this winter, and I
have a brick wall that is now getting full afternoon sun. It's still
hot at midnight! So I'm interested in an attractive climbing vine that
will cover and provide natural shade. I don't have room for large
shrubs there. Recommendations?

I gather from Neil Sperry, etc. that Boston Ivy (which isn't a real
ivy) is one good central Texas choice. The fact that it's deciduous
means I get heat in the winter but shade in the summer. I'm told it
climbs brick without help. Vigorous, fast covering. But is it nice
looking? Red leaves in fall are kinda nice, but are the bare vines in
the winter ugly? OK to plant in midsummer?

Yes, I can read all about it on the web, but I'm wondering if there are
any gotchas/horror stories. (Haven't found any yet ...) Other ideas? I
really want something that doesn't need trellising/support.

Try fig ivy, or creeping fig. I have it on a rock wall on my shop. It
grows better if you water regularly. I use a drip irrigation line with
the mini sprinklers for about 30 minutes a day. It does require
maintenance:trimming the edges to keep it from growing into the
surrounding wood trim.

Another solution would be to build a light trellis in front of the wall
and grow honeysuckle or some other prolific vine on the trellis.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX