Old 17-06-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default gloxinia question

"GH" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is very nice of you to help. Thank you very much!
I kept watering because it seemed cruel to let them without water when
they still had leaves on but I suspect the fertiliser for this second
flowering. It was a formula for flowering plants not the special
african violet thing. Puzzling...
Do they absolutely have to have a rest period?

Yes, if you want them to live and bloom year after year. Stop fertilizing
when the blooms are slowing down and the plant looks tired. Water less and
less until the tops die down. It's not cruel, it's necessary for their
survival. Wait a few months, repot and water them again. Start to use dilute
fertilizer once growth is moving along.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hor...s/gloxinia.htm

You may find all the information you need on the above site or use your
favorite search engine to bring up much more on these lovely plants.