Old 17-06-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help?

"C. Nick Kruzer" wrote in message
snip
In my copy of Bailey's 2nd Hortus I read about growing orchids. It takes
special knowledge and patience. People who grow orchids must truly
appreciate them and have the basic abilities needed to follow scientific
procedure, and that is why I'm asking here,
snip

C. Nick,

I can't believe noone else has challenged you on this part of your post yet.
Special knowledge? Scientific Procedure? All this sounds way more complex
than it actually is. Growing orchids has the unfortunate reputation of being
complex, but as most of us here have found, orchids are much easier to grow
than people who don't know about them think. In my opinion, orchids are in
many ways easier to grow than other houseplants. In fact I have killed most
other houseplants I have ever owned, but I find orchids much more difficult
to kill -- unless one waters them too frequently, they can survive a lot of
mild abuse or benign neglect. The "scientific procedure" for most orchids
can be summarized on one sheet of fairly simple instructions of how to care
for them. Granted, some of these instructions may be counter-intuitive to
those burdened by the knowledge of caring for other houseplants. But how
many other houseplants regularly come with easy instructions for novices?
And how many other houseplants will bloom for many months?

This is an extreme example (few orchids are that simple), but it shows how
easy orchid growing can be: I have this orchid that I bought at a local
Safeway grocery store (Phal. Baldan's Kaleidoscope). I bought it in bloom in
September 2005. It continues to be in bloom to this day (so 9 months in
bloom). I have watered it a total of 8 times in these 9 months -- it has
healthy roots and healthy leaves, just does not dry out more often. It
stands in a northern window without supplemental lights -- seems to be
enough light for this particular orchid. Since I tend to be pretty bad about
adding fertilizer to water, only when I think of it, and happen to have
time, some members of this forum would argue that I am starving it, but
several of my orchids have been with me for 5 years now, and have continued
to flourish under similar benign neglect -- two of those orchids that I have
had for 5 years already have flowered with more flowers than ever this year,
and they are now busily growing new leaves, while I am busy taking care of
my 6 months old child most of the time. How easy is that for orchid growing?

Best,
Joanna