Old 17-06-2006, 03:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default covering a hot brick wall

In article om,
"Doug Lassiter" wrote:

I would certainly rather have shade from a tree, but I'm about ten
years away from having that right now! I am curious about possible long
term damage to brick or mortar from ivy though. No question that one
needs to keep it off of wood. In that context, one gardening question
would be how much work would something like Boston Ivy require to keep
it under control? With pretty full sun, am I likely to be hacking at it
all summer to keep it from invading my attic?

Try morning glory.
They die in the winter and have to be re-planted every spring but they
grow ever so fast.

It would not be a bad idea to erect an inexpensive trellis tho'.
Stakes and strings that can be removed in the winter and put back up in
the spring are common, quick, easy and cheap.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson