Old 17-06-2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-Lo

Default How do i soften my water - electrolites

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
\
The softer the water the more energy do fishes need to
transport diffusing water back to outside. This is a
kidneys job and the kidneys are always in danger to loose
important ions. And the management of the ion pumps that
hold these ions back consume a lot of energy..

Which I believe is involved (electrolytes) in these soft water, low PH water
fish being unable to thrive in very hard alkaline water. Bacteria may also
play a part but I believe it's more of an electrolyte problem.

BTW: We are used to keep soft water fishes in soft water and
they feel well. Initiated by soft water their kidneys are
steadily "rinsed" and in this way and in the long term they
aren't in danger to get a renal insufficiency..

Which may be what killed the small tetras I tried to keep here in TN.
Rather than try and keep fish that don't thrive in my water I will stick
with those that do. :-)
--
KL....
Aquariums since 1952.