Old 18-06-2006, 03:22 AM posted to austin.gardening
Doug Lassiter

Default covering a hot brick wall

Try fig ivy, or creeping fig. I have it on a rock wall on my shop. It
grows better if you water regularly. I use a drip irrigation line with
the mini sprinklers for about 30 minutes a day. It does require
maintenance:trimming the edges to keep it from growing into the
surrounding wood trim.

Neil Sperry says that Fig Ivy doesn't like hot afternoon sun, which is
what I have loads of. Also, he rates it Zone 9, which sounds a little
delicate to me. It's a west wall, and there is northern exposure to
pretty cold winds in winter. One website says you have to cut it back
to the ground every few years!

Is there some advantage to Fig Ivy? The leaves do look attractive.