Old 18-06-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default Watering advice needed

I had the bright idea of putting some shrub bubblers through my garden for
water. Problem - my well can't put enough volume to run more then 4 of these
at a time. I use a well to water the garden, so I can't really use a drip
system that runs for hours at a time - I need to turn on the pump, water,
and turn the pump off. I thought of sprinklers, but for tomatoes and corn
they don't work because I have no way to put the sprinkler head 5 or 6 feet
up. But with a low volume pump, I either use some sort of sprinkler system,
or I spend an hour or so watering by hand.. My well can run 3 impact
sprinklers at about 20 psi, and that actually works well for stuff that
doesn't get very tall. I've thought of just figuring out how to put them
high enough to get the corn and tomatoes. So...any suggestions? What is a
good way to water with a (relatively) low volume pump? Oh, and the soil here
is such that water just soaks in. I grow my stuff in beds, but I can't flood
the bed because the water drains into the soil too fast.