Old 18-06-2006, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jens Egon Nyborg

Default creation of new apple species

dantheman50_98 wrote:
Hello All,
Does anybody know what percentage of apple seeds if
germinated, would stay true to their parent plant's variety?
I suppose it must vary from variety to variety. Would all of the seeds
become new types of apple in some cases?
I wonder if there is abook anywhere that goes into detail the whole
subject of species mutation and whatnot, even maybe listing apples that
will change their type and ones that won't
Cheers,
Daniel

Quite simple: An apple variety is a clone. Seeds will *never* germinate
into clones of their parents.

Generally varieties of plants that are vegetatively reproduced are
clones. Varieties of plants that are reproduced by seed are highly
inbred and stay true to variety unless cross polinated.

You might try reading this: http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/mg/manual/prop.htm