Old 18-03-2003, 05:32 AM
DGiunti

Default what flowers attract hummingbirds that will start from seeds/bulbs ?

In article , Polar
writes:

On 18 Mar 2003 00:37:00 GMT, unity (DGiunti) wrote:

In article , "Henry"
writes:

I am looking for suggestions on flowers that I can start from seed for my
kid's garden that will do a good job of attracting Hummingbirds. I live in
Central NY and I know we have them here as we have seen them at a neighbors
feeder and I think my kid would get a kick out of seeing them in his
garden.

I've gardened for hummingbirds successfully in California. They like
plants
that give either a lot of pollen or nectar. The best attractant is
Honeysuckle. Other plants that they like are Giant Impatience (the bush
that
is several feet high and whose flowers have a hook filled with nectar) and
types of Eucalyptus that have lots of pollen, like the variety called Bottle
Brush.

I am not sure about your growing conditions and these plants however. It
would not be a bad idea to find out what local variety of Honeysuckle is
best.

I have a fuschia outside the kitchen window where they visit
regularly.

If they are really prolific fuscias could attract, but I have no personal
experience with them. The honeysuckle is a major attraction to them however.
Often I would see a couple of hummers in attendance to the vine at one time.
The males bark to drive others away and sort of claim the territory, at least
for the common variety that came by my yard. The first time you hear that
bark, you really wonder what in the heck is making that loud noise, then you
notice the humm, and then the hummer, and realize it's doing that!

David Giunti email:
unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk