Old 18-06-2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Rainbow Eucalyptus - any one have first hand knowledge?

miamicuse wrote:

I am in love with the colorful bark of this tree. I saw a 15' specimen in the Black Olive Nursery in Fort Lauderdale today. They told me it will grow up to 40 feet tall but no idea if it is hurricane reistant in any way...
I did some search on the web and it says;

"Very large forest tree to 220ft. It is a fast grower, though it can be kept to a much smaller sized if desired. Grows well in full sun or part shade. Generally likes a lot of water and naturally grows in a rain-forest environment. Hardy to 26-28F, but only for brief periods; will not stand intense or prolonged frosts. Prefers a humid, cooler tropical climate."

220 ft? Wow that is not going to work or is that in the ideal condition in it's native habitat? Can I plant it ten feet from a house in Miami, Florida (10)?

Thanks,

MC

You could try a Lacebark (Chinese) Elm instead.

not quite as impressive - but a very nice tree.
http://msucares.com/news/print/sgnew...s/sg050113.jpg

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)