Old 18-06-2006, 04:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Gary Brady

Default covering a hot brick wall

Doug Lassiter wrote:

Neil Sperry says that Fig Ivy doesn't like hot afternoon sun, which is
what I have loads of. Also, he rates it Zone 9, which sounds a little
delicate to me. It's a west wall, and there is northern exposure to
pretty cold winds in winter. One website says you have to cut it back
to the ground every few years!

Is there some advantage to Fig Ivy? The leaves do look attractive.

Agreed, it will get frostbite sometimes. The batch I have faces west
but has a clump of trees and bushes in front of it, so it doesn't the
direct scorching sun all of the time, but I think that plenty of water
will help offset any scorching. The trees overhang the wall a bit and
protect it from freezing, too. Don't know about cutting back to the
ground, I just trim the ends on mine. If it gets to prolific, cut back
on the water.

I planted it because I liked the looks of it.

I think in your case, I would consider the trellis in front of the wall,
with a fast growing vine on it.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX