Old 18-06-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Neighbor planted a palm on my property

miamicuse wrote:
Just purchased a property and after doing the survey, I realized my new
neighbor planted a palm on my property...The palm is about 8 feet tall and
has a terra cotta border (round about 3 feet in diameter) with mulch. I am
planning to construct a fence which will cut right through this terra cotta
border with the palm ending on my side completely.

How should I handle this situation? I don't think it is practical to up
root the palm and plant it on their side, nor stopping and starting the
fence and leave a gap where this palm is...

MC

Depending on the value of the tree (to your neighbor) it may be
practical (unless you want an on going war) to move it. Have you
considered talking to your neighbor about possibly moving the palm and
him paying to have it moved? And who did your survey? A LOT of them are
wrong and you may need to have another one done before you destroy
property that was put there (in good faith that he owned the property)
by a neighbor.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years