Old 18-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Neighbor planted a palm on my property

Mindful wrote:

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Just purchased a property and after doing the survey, I realized my new
neighbor planted a palm on my property...The palm is about 8 feet tall
and
has a terra cotta border (round about 3 feet in diameter) with mulch.
I am
planning to construct a fence which will cut right through this terra
cotta
border with the palm ending on my side completely.

How should I handle this situation? I don't think it is practical to up
root the palm and plant it on their side, nor stopping and starting the
fence and leave a gap where this palm is...

MC

Perhaps you can explain to this neighbor he unknowingly planted his palm
on your land and you plan to run a fence. Get some feedback from him.
You don't want to alienate a neighbor. He may tell you to keep the plant
or he may chose to move it back further onto his land. Find a happy
medium if that is possible.

It doesn't hurt to try being a good neighbor. A diplomatic approach at
the start is good. Show your neighbor your survey report.

Remember that surveyors sometimes make mistakes. Thus, if your neighbor
disputes the report, offer to delay your fence until the neighbor has
his own survey done. However, set a reasonable deadline for that.

Explain to your neighbor that palms are very easily transplanted, even
with only a minimal root ball. If he still wants it, he should dig it
up and move it to his own property.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/