Old 18-03-2003, 07:20 AM
gregpresley

Default fastest growing trees?

Hi Pam - I agree with you. There are a number of fast-growing trees which
are notorious for breaking in storms, short-lives, etc, (silver maple and
some of the large poplars being good examples) but some, such as the tulip
poplar (liriodendron), giant sequoia, calocedrus, leland cypress and some
others are long-lived attractive trees which do not break easily.
"Pam" wrote in message

HI HI- wrote:

just curious as to what trees grow fastest? i love trees and want to

plant them in my yard. only problem is i dont want to wait long for them to
grow. i would get them big then plant them but i dont have a truck to get
them to my house so i have to buy small. what are some nice trees that
grow fast?
thanks for the input.

Despite all the comments to the contrary, there are a number of perfectly

acceptable and relatively long-lived trees which can put on growth at a
pretty rapid rate, once established. Leyland cypress, Thuja 'Green Giant',
liriodendron, paulownia, Lombary poplar and various willows can all achieve
3 or more feet
a year if given proper conditions. Various oak species, red and Norway

maples, Fraxinus pennsylvanica, alder and sweet gums should grow a couple of
feet a year. In tree growth, this is considered pretty darn fast. One
doesn't have to wait forever for a even a young tree to reach a reasonable
size if care is
given to selection and growing conditions.

pam - gardengal