Old 19-06-2006, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default resurrected hydrangea

"June Hughes" wrote in message
About 5 years ago my daughter had a serious operation and one of her
friends bought her a hydrangea. As she was not living in her flat at the
time, she asked me to look after it and I planted it in our garden. We
already have an ancient hydrangea in the front garden, so I was confident
that it would be OK. It survived a couple of years and then died quite
suddenly in the spring of last year. I was very upset and a couple of
weeks ago I bought and potted up a replacement for my daughter. On Friday,
we noticed a small plant (definitely a hydrangea) growing in the place
where the 'dead' plant had been. I am very happy about this but wonder if
anyone can give any advice as to how best to keep it going. Many thanks in
advance.
--
June Hughes

It's a very difficult call. It obviously is unhappy in the location/soil
and the new growth may give up in to the hostile conditions before autumn.
Assuming that it was a small potted hydrangea then it would not be
impossible to dig the whole thing up now and give it a better location or a
large pot.