Old 19-06-2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default How do Nurseries Force Blooming?

Now that I'm more familiar with how plants grow in my own garden, and
have started quite a few plants from seed I'm much more aware that the
plants I see in the nurseries are flowering well before their usual time.

I'm wondering how the nurseries get plants to flower early. We have
quite a few local nurseries and I've examined their greenhouses and
don't see any lights. So I'm wondering if they are treating with
something special.

In particular, I'm curious how they get the Nonstop begonias going. Mine
from last year which I started in pots were much larger than the ones I
purchased this year, but they are only now starting to make buds while
the purchased ones were blooming madly for Mothers Day

--Jenny