Old 19-06-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

Default Slugs'n'Snails - wired?

In article ,
(Steve Harris) wrote:

In article ,
ks (Mike)
wrote:

Cathodic Protection?
Potential between dis-similar metals
Copper to Ground?

The most convincing (but rare) explanation is that S'n'S don't like
getting even very dilute copper salts on their feet.

Thats my preferred explanation too. I wouldn't have thought it would
be too difficult to rig an experiment where snails were asked to walk
across stainless steel wires with about half a volt between them or
across blotting paper soaked in 0.1% copper sulphate solution
and then rate the experiences on a scale of 1 to 10.
You'd need an animal experimentation licence and an ethics committee
etc etc.