Old 19-06-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default weed and feed treated grass as a mulch?

It should be made clear to the OP that if the chemicals dissipate during
composting, it's time and perhaps rain that are causing it, not the
bacterial action of the composting. If he uses a covered compost bin,
which would prevent rain from washing through the material, he may, in
fact end up with no reduction of chemicals at all. Without actually having
the compost tested, all he has to go on is how he and others here
interpret what it says on the chemical's label.

This I understand IE that the chemicals may not break down but have to leach
out in time. What is unclear is how fast the chemicals break down, if they
break down, how fast they leach out, and how dangerous they really are, and
what happens if they are present in the crops at a level too low to kill the
crops, but high enough to hurt us if we eat them? Too many unknowns here. I
went to Scott's website, where they have a link to a lively forum,
gardenadvice.com, and I asked there. Haven't received an answer yet. I think
I'll play it safe and just spread the stuff over a compost pile slated to be
used next year. We get a lot of rain here, and I suspect they chemicals will
leach out in time.

Hmm...the ground water level here is about 9 feet deep (I have a 17 foot
well, standing water level is at 9 feet. My basement floods if we get a lot
of rain), what are the dangers of this stuff leaching into the ground water?