Old 19-06-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Rosa Rugosa cutting

Riding down the congested Leeds inner ring road this afternoon I saw lots of
flowering, deep pink rosa rugosa. They were dark with road dirt and vehicle
emissions but looked thriving, bushy and growing well.

My white, single bloomed, one (planted 2002) is a bit leggy, flowering well
but most of the green is at the top third of the plant.

Can it be cut back to encourage lower growth, if so when and by how much?

It would be a shame not to see the hips but if necessary I'd be prepared to
forgo that pleasure this year, in the hope of seeing more next year.

I hope someone can advise,

Mary