Old 19-06-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sgt.Sausage

Default Raspberry help for the new beginner

"new garden guy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I planted 4 raspberry plants I bought from a local garden center.Now I
believe they're called canes. They llooked like little brown sticks in
the ground, about 12 inches or so high. I planted them about 6 weeks
ago and I'm not seeing any growth at all. NO fruit, which is normal,
from what I understand, but no vegetative growth either, no leaves,
shoots, nothing

Is this normal?

Ours did this.

First year -- nuthin'. Looked dead.

Second year: grew a lot, but no berries.

Third year: looked like they died again.

Fourth year: WOW! berries beyond belief. It's now been
an additional 3 years and they've been great ever since.

I don't know if we got a bad batch or not, but basically we
had to wait 'em out into the 4th year before it really worked out.