Old 19-06-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

Default Growing your own to save

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:14:57 -0400, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

Is it cheaper or more expensive to grow your own crops?

----
During my first few years of gardening I kept good records of all
my costs and time spent gardening, from seeds indoors to harvest.
For my time, I paid myself $5/hour do do the analysis. I typically
harvested about 100 pounds of vegetables over the entire season.

In summary, grocery store vegetables cost about $2 to$4 per pound.
To grow mine at home, it costed me about $8/pound which includes
all my expenses and paying myself $5/hour for all the time spent.

Now several years later, after doing the above analysis, I hardly
spend anything because I have all my gardening equipment and
accessories. I compost leaves and use just a little bit of chemical
fertilizers. So I'm sure that I'm closer to the grocery store prices
per pound, but even at $8/pound I'd keep gardening.

---pete---