Old 19-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Rosa Rugosa cutting

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

These are the toughest roses of all.

that's what I decided when I saw them flourishing on the side of the
motorway!

A truck driving right over one
wouldn't kill it. You can prune rugosa right down to ground level and
they will send up strong new shoots and suckers (from their own roots,
same rose). Give them a mulch of old compost or manure and you'll soon
have a fresh new plant. You might get even get some flowers by autumn.

er - do you mean that I might try it THIS year?

I don't really want to do it yet, I was hoping that it might be possible
in autumn - but if you're sure ...

Mary

Any time of year is fine for the truck driving method.
Whilst you are here have you noticed the dense planting of Araucaria on the
same bit of road near the Armley gyratory. Brilliant and even the local
plebs haven't worked out how to nick them:-)