Old 20-06-2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? Joanna

C. Nick,
Ah, yes, propagating is another matter.
But returning to growing, I guess I should have qualified my response with
"some" orchids are easier to grow. Orchids being exceedingly diverse, many
of them actually are complex to grow as well, especially if one does not
have the ideal environment for growing them. That is actually probably the
greatest secret to growing orchids successfully: one needs to find out what
kind of environment one can provide them, and then find out which orchids
will do well in that kind of an environment. As Tracey pointed out, vanilla
is not the best choice for an apartment. However, even in an apartment, if
you have good window space, you can grow a number of great orchid plants.
And I remember someone on this group (or was it another one?) once posting
about a vanilla plant growing in his kitchen, and that even though it never
flowered, and took over his entire kitchen ceiling, his teenaged children
thought it was still really cool to grow a vanilla plant in the kitchen. So
it sounded from that story like vanilla can be grown indoors without a
green-house, but is it a good idea? It depends on what you expect of it, I
guess. Flowers, no. Small size, no. But the "cool" factor can still be
there.
Joanna

"C. Nick Kruzer" wrote in message
Hi Joanna. you wrote:

Growing orchids has the unfortunate reputation
of being complex, but as most of us here have
found, orchids are much easier to grow than
people who don't know about them think. In my
opinion, orchids are in many ways easier to
grow than other houseplants. In fact I havekilled
most other houseplants I have ever owned
, but I find orchids much more difficult to kill --

I made an error in word usage. When I wrote "growing" I actually meant
"propagating". But I'm glad you responded, I might try an orchid or two.
I live in a city as an apartment dweller, so I will have to grow
indoors. I've always wanted to try growing the vanilla orchid!

C.Nick Kruzer