Old 20-06-2006, 07:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Need pump & filter advice for small pond

On 19 Jun 2006 19:08:42 -0700, wrote:

Last year I buried a 145 gallon hard shell pond (80" x 54" x 18" deep -
Tahoe model) and installed a Pondmaster 500 gph pump - box said it's
good for up to 10 1/2 feet lift. The pond is about 18" deep and I
stacked flagstone about 12" high to create a small waterfall. The pump
has a 3/4" output and I used a splitter to create 2 outlets that
cascade down over the flagstone. The waterflow is way too weak for
what I'd like. It's less than a garden hose would produce.

Also, the water is constantly cloudy so I installed a "Garden
Treasures" Low Profile Mechanical/Biological filter (Model MF750) . It
says it's for use in ponds up to 750 gallons with pumps between 300 and
700 gallons per hour. It's not a bypass filter, the pump's input is
connected to this filter so the pump draws through it. It's just 2
sponge type filters and some bio balls and it didn't help, the water's
still cloudy and I'm guessing it's restricting the water flow.

What would be a good filter & pump size to go with to create a better
water flow and keep the water clear? This is a little pond so I don't
want overkill but something that will look nice. There aren't any fish
or plants in the pond.

My guess is yes, the filter is possibly restricting the flow, or it could
be the tubing you are using to feed the water feature. What type and
diameter is it? If garden hose, they are meant for much more psi then our
small pumps up out, and have lots of friction within.

For a different filter you could try a fake flower pot filter. Got to
www.jjspond.us and click on *My Filter* and scroll to the bottom where
there are 3 pictured. ~ jan
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us