Old 20-06-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Chervil-perhaps?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

I have a plant that has ferny foliage and a cow parsley type pink flower.
It is now seeding and the seeds taste of aniseed. This thing forms a
large
evergreen clump even during frosts and springs to life early in the year
(spring)
I have always thought this was Chervil but someone has told me that
chervil
is an annual and does not overwinter.
Could it be some other culinary herb?

It sounds very like sweet cecily except for the pink flowers. Sweet
cecily I've grown is always white flowered. I'd be wary of tasting
those seeds until you ID it since some umbellifers are very poisonous.

Could it be pink cow parsley? There is a form of it sold for garden use.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

I have been munching the odd seeds for the last few years and they do taste
of aniseed. I will now desist until I am certain of the ID and will content
myself with extra portions of wild garlic.
Pink Cow Parsley led me to Hairy Chervil 'Roseum' (Chaerophyllum hirsutum)
which is nearly right except my flower heads are a much deeper pink than
those in any pictures I could find.