Old 20-06-2006, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
Geoff & Heather

Default Do Worm castings contain worm eggs?

I agree you need to build the soil up so the worms have got something to
feed on. Lots of organic stuff, mushroom compost is good and weed free.
Then bury your vegetable peelings and scraps. If a pile of nice juicy buried
scraps doesn't attract them, buy 500 worms from your local nursery and but
them in your buried compost and let them spread from there.

I keep a worm farm without a bottom, ie just a concrete bin sitting on the
ground about 5m from the first of my veggie gardens (20m from furtherest
one). All the food scraps and spent veggie plants go in the farm. I
compost my lawn clippings separately until they cool down and go green and
slimy - I then bury that in the garden (as per previous suggestions of a
compost trench. The compost worms love it - I think the farm acts as a
breeding ground and they migrate from there to the garden. Whilst my garden
is full of worms, I never see those little mounds of dirt that you mention
and are common on lawns. Maybe the garden soil is nice and loose so the
worms don't have to break the surface to get a good air supply ??

Interestingly the worms disappear from my farm in the heat of summer (but a
few stay in the garden) At that time I clean out about 30cm of castings and
spread them around the garden and start again with a fresh layer of sand in
Feb. The worms all come back as the weather cools down.

"Yau-ming" wrote in message
"loosecanon" wrote in message
I suspect those piles of castings in the park are from lawn beetles. They
leave tell tale volcano shaped castings above ground. Years ago I was
playing golf on a course that had preferred lies. A friend used to take a
preferred tee off on any of these that were close by.

Lawn Beetles? Hmm... I don't think so but I'll check it out.

The castings are just small, soft muddy dirt balls. There is otherwise no
disruption to the soil surface.