Old 20-06-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Rosa Rugosa cutting

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

A truck driving right over one
wouldn't kill it. You can prune rugosa right down to ground level and
they will send up strong new shoots and suckers (from their own
roots,
same rose). Give them a mulch of old compost or manure and you'll soon
have a fresh new plant. You might get even get some flowers by autumn.

er - do you mean that I might try it THIS year?

I'm talking about a plant that's had every stem pruned right down in
winter, making enough new growth from spring onward, to flower later
that year.

If you did it in mid June it would grow, but I doubt you'd get
flowers this year.

Right, that's what I would have thought but I could have been wrong.

I don't really want to do it yet, I was hoping that it might be possible
in
autumn - but if you're sure ...

Autumn would be better

Thanks a lot, I'll do that.