Old 20-06-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Rosa Rugosa cutting

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

A truck driving right over one
wouldn't kill it...................snip..............

Unlike Mary I actually want to get rid of some of my Rosa Rugosa. New
shoots come up in the most inconvenient places, there are nettles growing
in the middle of one bush which I can't get at and they are generally
taking over some of our flower beds.

So, sorry Mary, but is there an easy/sensible way of getting rid of them?

LOL! Don't apologise to me :-) I got rid of all the other 'conventional'
roses in our garden, I'm not a rose lover but it seemed like heresy to many!

The rosa rugosa is difficult because of its prickles but its scent and the
hips are glorious. We planted it on a boundary where it would serve as an
extra deterrent to unwanted visitors, along with other bitterly hazardous
plants - and a couple of friendly ones.

Most of what we planted weren't the best choice for a hedge because only a
holly is evergreen but it's getting better ... slowly ... :-)

I'd suggest some very stout gloves, protective arm, leg and face wear and
persistence! Or ask a man to do the deed, they mostly don't like to admit
that thorns are a problem for them!

Mary